Good-bye North Pond! See you in 2010? 2011?

parasound data.jpg

After one round-the-pond final tour for final multibeam data (NOT seismics as I wrote the other day with a fried brain -- I'll include an image of multibeam data to show what this looks like) we left the pond and are headed to Dakar. I feel like I've really gotten to know North Pond over the past month. I've stared at our multibeam maps for hours and hours, day after day. All the contours on our maps are imprinted on my brain and I could probably sketch them from memory right now. We've had vigorous debates and discussions pouring over these maps and discussing data as it comes in, in order to decide what to do next. It has been a roller-coaster ride, and now we are coasting in to dock... for this year. I am already looking forward to returning in 20?? for the IODP drilling leg!

I am clean and free of mud. We polished off the last sample this afternoon and I immediately showered and ran to do laundry.

I don't think I've mentioned one bittersweet fact about this project and my own personal research agenda for North Pond. I'm heavily involved in all aspects of the broader project, but my own interests really lie with rocks -- the aquifer system that is flowing underneath North Pond, and what kind of intraterrestrial microbes might colonize rock, inhabiting the nooks and crannies of volcanic basalt and catalyzing reactions that result in "weathering" -- like what you can see on old buildings, roads, and rock outcrops on the continents.

bathemetry.jpg

The person who dreamed up this project with me, Wolfgang Bach, is a petrologist -- a rock guy. His interests are also in these reactions, and particularly the chemical changes that take place. I bring that up only to point out that this has not been a rock cruise: no rocks -- well, big rocks, anyhow -- were collected. We've spent a month at sea collecting mud. This is more than a bit removed from our normal "day jobs" and expertise.

That being said, it has been amazingly interesting and fun to collect mud. I was not really sure what to expect, but suffice it to say there are enough people in the world that deeply care about mud to argue for the case that of course mud is interesting. Now I know a little bit more of the "whys" behind their passion for mud, which is very satisfying.

I still miss my rocks though.